"Today I underwent successful right hip surgery at the St Vincent Hospital in Melbourne", Murray said on Facebook.
Having been plagued by the issue since last summer, with extended rest doing little to resolve the issue, some fear the two-time Wimbledon champion is edging close to retirement.
He said: "I had spoken to my wife about [surgery]". That's one of the things that motivated me to keep playing.
"I'd like to thank Dr John O'Donnell and all of the staff for looking after me".
The 30-year-old started 2017 as the top ranked player in tennis for the first time in his career following his win at the ATP Finals in London in November 2016.
"So if I can get myself to 95% of my best, I believe that's enough to compete at the highest level". Despite a couple of seemingly positive exhibitions in the past couple of weeks, Murray admitted defeat last Thursday when he pulled out of the Australian Open.More news: Manhunt underway for suspected cop killer in Washington state
Murray last featured at Wimbledon in July after his quarter-final loss to Sam Querrey and chose to take the rest of the year off to recover from an injury to his right hip.
"I'm very optimistic about the future - the surgeon is very happy about how it went".
Murray has previously suggested that he would only consider an operation on the area as a last resort, but the Scot has now revealed that he is optimistic that he can make a return to professional tennis, potentially during the grass-court campaign.
While he faces the possibility of nearly a year out in total, Murray says if he can return to 95 percent of his best he can still compete for the game's biggest prizes.
The former world number one was previously expected and confirmed to take part in Melbourne for the 2018 Australian Open.
"That would be cool if she can come along and watch me hit some balls or..." "I'll certainly be more considered in the amount of tournaments I play, even though I play a conservative schedule anyway in comparison to most of the players on the tour".