"Yet before this action began, the plaintiff did not make any demand to return her possessions".
She sued the auction house and Darlene Lutz, who is the main source of 22 items, including jewellery, clothes and signed memorabilia. Lutz's lawyer, Judd Grossman, called the decision "a total win", saying: "Ms Lutz is now free to do with her property as she pleases without any continued interference by Madonna". Monday's ruling also said that a 2004 settlement agreement between Ms. Lutz and Madonna prevented the singer from suing for the items. "I never meant to hurt you". Personal belongings that included items like her brush and satin panties, old cassettes, photos, and of course, the letter in which Tupac said "adios".
Dated Jan. 15, 1995, the letter was written during Shakur's incarceration at New York's Clinton Correctional Facility for sexual assault, the year before his shooting death at age 25 in September 1996.
In 2017, a large cache of Madonna's personal items went up for auction.More news: 12-year-old boy steals parents' credit card, flies to Bali alone
The letter, which can be read in part here, contained musings from the late rap legend about the circumstances of the once power couple's breakup. Interest bidders can place their offers again in July when the missive hits the auction block again.
When it originally went up for auction past year, the letter was going for around $100,000. In a statement, the organisation said it had been confident about the case and undertaken "substantial due diligence" before announcing the initial auction.
And now she has lost the court bid despite claiming that she had rights to maintain her privacy with Tupac and other highly personal items.
Manhattan judge ruled that an auction for it can proceed.
Attorneys for Madonna had no comment on the matter.