Scottish runner collapses in Commonwealth marathon

Callum Hawkins falls to his knees for the first time

Camera Icon Callum Hawkins falls to his knees for the first

In temperatures nudging 30 degrees Celsius (85 Fahrenheit) in Gold Coast, Scotland's Hawkins wobbled and went down twice, lying prone for some time before help arrived.

Hawkins regained conscious and was able to sit up while still at the scene of his collapse. The Scottish runner was taken to hospital but was not in a serious condition.

"Callum has been taken to hospital for medical review", team officials said in a statement.

Commentating on the race, BBC's chief athletics correspondent Steve Cram talked about it was a "disgrace" that it took so prolonged for paramedics to deal with Hawkins.

But the Scotland team issued a positive update on the runner on Twitter. "He is current course of extra assessments as a precaution and all of us need him a speedy restoration".

WHY didn't anyone help marathon runner Callum Hawkins as he lay distressed on the Sundial Bridge?

"I had a couple of mates around Main Beach who said Callum was in a bit of trouble".

As you know the worldwide rules are very clear in that an athlete has to declare themselves unfit to race (before they can receive any medical attention).

GOLDOC confirmed medical staff were posted at 500-metre intervals in the final kilometres of the course with radio communications. "We're offering every assist potential to Callum and Group Scotland".

"GOLDOC has put in place a wide range of measures to ensure athlete welfare and the response of medical staff this morning was within agreed response guidelines and timeframes".

More news: Kim meets Chinese official, calls for strengthening ties

"I was also concerned about the behaviour of a small number of bystanders who chose to take images. This is not in keeping with the spirit of GC2018", he said.

Earlier, when Hawkins first collapsed, McAvaney labelled his condition "completely and utterly distressed".

Seven of the 24 starters failed to complete the race, including Tanzania's Saidi Juma Makula, who collapsed close to the finish line before being helped into an ambulance.

"I thought hopefully I can get to the finish line because I was starting to get cramps in my hands".

Uganda's Munyo Solomon Mutai took silver, while Scotland's Robbie Simpson picked up the bronze.

"Sometimes the medical people arrive and the athlete has to make a decision as to whether they go on or not and I understand that was a part of the discussion".

Australia's Mike Shelley passed the prone Hawkins and retained the marathon title he won in Glasgow four years ago in two hours, 16.46 minutes. "As soon as I used to be coming down the home straight I tried to hurry up, nonetheless I was merely gone".

"Words can't express what we felt; having seen him take that almost two-minute lead, then he started to wobble down at the beach". They might have just been trying to encourage me but then I saw him on the bridge and I was aware he was in trouble but I just tried to hang on.

Namibia's Helalia Johannes won the women's marathon ahead of Australian duo Lisa Weightman and Jessica Trengove.

Latest News