UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has strongly condemned the attack on a mosque being used as a voter registration center in Khost province of Afghanistan, his spokesperson said on Sunday.
In another case of abduction of Indian nationals in foreign countries, six engineers working in Afghanistan have been kidnapped in Baghlan province, allegedly by Taliban militants.
Afghanistan is scheduled to hold parliamentary elections in October.
According to Mujahid, nine Afghan soldiers and one Taliban fighter were killed.More news: Pakistan Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal injured in gun attack
At least 14 people were killed and 33 others injured after an explosion at a mosque in eastern Afghanistan on Sunday, the latest in a wave of deadly attacks in the country in recent weeks.
Habib Shah Ansari, head of the Khost health department says 17 are confirmed dead. Provincial Afghan police chief Abdul Hanan confirmed the death toll to VOA, saying he anticipated the death toll to rise.
Late last month, a suicide bomber detonated his vest at a voters' identification card distribution center in Kabul, killing almost 60 people and wounding over 100 others.
Nobody immediately claimed responsibility for that attack, however Taliban as well as a regional Islamic Condition affiliate reject democratic elections and have targeted those in the past. Baghlan Governor Abdulhai Nemati said the Taliban group took the engineers hostage and moved them to the Dand-e-Shahabuddin area of Pul-e-Khumri city. "Now, the ISI-backed Taliban will find it hard to attack Indian interests in the country for fear of annoying Big Brother Beijing". There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but the Taliban said it was not involved in the explosion.