Weinstein to surrender in sexual misconduct probe

Harvey Weinstein charged with rape and other abuse charges in sexual assault cases

Rose McGowan talks to Megyn Kelly on "Today" about Harvey Weinstein's rape charge

Former Hollywood film producer Harvey Weinstein is expected on Friday morning to surrender to New York City police on charges he sexually assaulted two women, according to the New York Times and other news outlets.

The two officials said the criminal case involves allegations by Lucia Evans, a former actress who was among the first women to speak out about Weinstein.

NY police have also confirmed a credible rape allegation against Weinstein after "Boardwalk Empire" actress Paz de la Huerta accused him of raping her twice at her NY apartment in late 2010.

The former Mirimax boss is also under investigation for alleged sex crimes in London and LA, following a string of women coming forward with allegations previous year.

The Manhattan District Attorney's Office said he was charged with rape in the first and third degrees, stemming from an attack on a woman in 2013, and a criminal sex act against another woman in 2004.

Weinstein was released on $1 million bail, with constant electronic monitoring and a ban on traveling beyond NY and CT.

It's not clear whether Weinstein will face additional charges involving other women.

Vance - a Democrat who faced public pressure from women's groups to prosecute Weinstein this time - said Friday's charges "reflect significant progress in this active, ongoing investigation".

"BOOM", tweeted Italian actress Asia Argento, who has accused Weinstein of raping her at the Cannes film festival in 1997 when she was 21.

'May this give hope to all victims and survivors everywhere that are telling their truths, ' she added to Hollywood Reporter.

More news: Government favours long-term solution on fuel prices

More than 75 women have accused Weinstein of wrongdoing, and authorities in California and London are also investigating assault allegations.

The New York police said in its statement: "The NYPD thanks these fearless survivors for their courage to come forward and seek justice". In Oct. 2017, after numerous actresses publicly detailed their encounters with Weinstein, Vance said that prosecutors in his office had felt the 2015 tape hadn't been enough evidence to charge Weinstein.

The mogul's career went down in flames last October over sexual abuse allegations following bombshell articles in The New York Times and New Yorker magazine, which sparked a sexual harassment watershed across the United States.

After talking and writing about the case for so long, including in a recent memoir, "Brave," McGowan, 44, said it came as a huge surprise when news of the legal case finally came. With his arm held by a detective, Weinstein was brought in a back entrance of the courtroom and walked in a half-circle; he dazedly looked around the room and appeared to mouth the word "wow" as he entered.

Otherwise, he has been hit by a litany of civil lawsuits and The Weinstein Company - which sacked him - has filed for bankruptcy.

Rose McGowan is celebrating the impending arrest of disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein after accusing him of raping her in a Utah hotel.

'You can expect him to fight very hard, ' said Rendelman of Brafman. "I think five years from now, a lot of these weeds will be taken out".

He has previously denied all accusations of sexual assault.

Acting on demand from the Time's Up movement led by top Hollywood actresses, NY authorities in March vowed to "review" that decision.

Latest News