The man was tending to his garden in Lake Corpus Christi with his wife when they noticed a 1.2m rattlesnake by her feet.
But when he bent down to pick up the snake to dispose of it, the head bit him on the hand. "He had to rip it off".
"There are about 6,000 to 8,000 snake bites per year in the country, and 10 to 12 people die", he said.
"Within two miles down the road, he was going through seizures, slipping out of conscious and couldn't see". The average number for snake bite is four doses, Mrs Sutcliffe said.
A Texan man was told by doctors he might not live after being bitten by a severed rattlesnake head.
The weekend of May 27, Jennifer Sutcliffe's husband learned that the hard way.
'He had to have 26 doses'. After a 2014 incident in China, biologists affirmed that removing the head of a venomous snake doesn't instantly eliminate the threat it poses.More news: Simona Halep predicts Garbine Muguruza plan for French Open clash
A snake can still bite and release venom for up to several hours after it has been decapitated.
The excessive venom almost proved fatal for Milo, who had seizures, lost his vision and began to bleed internally on his trip to the hospital.
Sutcliffe, who called 911, was trying to drive her husband to the hospital, but his condition was so serious authorities had to fly him in for care.
He was eventually airlifted to Christus Spohn Shoreline Hospital, Jennifer said.
Snake heads have the capability of biting and injecting venom because some reflexive motion still remains even after they've been separated from the body, according to National Geographic.
In the movies, people try to suck out the venom themselves or some other home remedy.
Halpert said in the event you get bitten by a snake, you should keep calm, keep the bitten area above heart level and get to the nearest emergency room.