Man shot by police after stabbing spree in Melbourne city center

One person was confirmed dead after multiple stabbing incident during rush hour in the Australian city of Melbourne, police said on Friday, as the city was placed on lockdown.

Police said the man got out of a pickup truck, which then caught fire, and attacked three bystanders with a knife.

Dramatic footage captured from the scene shows officers try to apprehend the man following his stabbing attack.

"Police shot the male in a chest and he is now in critical condition under guard in hospital", Victorian police superintendent David Clayton told reporters.

Social media footage showed the attacker trying several times to stab one of the officers before a second officer drew his gun and a single shot could be heard.

The message over the loudspeakers says: "This is Victoria Police, please evacuate the area".

Commissioner Ashton said the man was known to police and the federal intelligence agencies. The suspect approached a police vehicle and assaulted an officer by punching him through its window. One had a head injury and the other suffered a neck injury, according to The Age.

Police are treating it as a terrorist incident. At a press conference, a police spokesperson said there are no links to terrorism at this stage.

More news: North Carolina woman seen in viral racist rant faces 911 violation charge

A tall man wearing a long black coat and holding a knife has already stabbed three people. As the attacks continued, one policeman shot the suspect in the chest, leaving him in a critical condition.

"There is no known link to terrorism at this stage", Clayton added. One of the victims died from his injuries.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has praised both authorities and members of the public for their quick response in taking down the offender.

Mr Ashton said security arrangements at Remembrance Day memorials and other public events scheduled over the weekend will be reassessed and it was likely police numbers there boosted.

Sarah Werkmeister, a witness, told The Herald Sun: "All I saw was the vehicle on fire, and the police cuffing someone on the ground".

"Equally, those strangers, people who were by-standers who knew nobody involved, who stepped in without a moment's hesitation, to render support and assistance to the courageous members of the Victoria Police, they too are people whose qualities make all of us proud as well".

Police are calling for any witnesses to contact the Melbourne West Police Station.

Latest News